Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sampling History at the More House: Sampler #1, Complete!

by: Kajsa Sabatke, Interpretive Projects Coordinator
This afternoon I completed the last stitches on my cross-stitched sampler project, based on the More family sampler in our collection. I have to say that I’m pretty excited about my work so far; to read more about the project, check here, here, and here. After weeks of counting, stitching, ripping out mistakes, and starting again, I’m finally done! As I’ve stitched in the More House, many visitors have asked what will happen to this sampler. It will stay in the More House for visitors to see. In the entire scope of the project, though, I still have far to go. My next step will be to go back to the original sampler to check against my first try, note my mistakes, and fix anything major on this sampler. Then I will start matching thread colors and material so I can start on an even bigger task: reproducing, as much as possible, the original sampler on linen cloth (without the benefits of the grid-like aida cloth). But after this one, I’m feeling much more ready for the challenge!

2 comments:

Adrienne Martini said...

Great job! Stitching on linen will only be slightly more challenging now that you've figured the basics out.

Lucy said...

a lovely sampler!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin