Monday, July 5, 2010

The New Calf Has a Name!

By: Keith Rohlman, Public Programs Intern

Hi, everyone! I thought I’d first take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Keith Rohlman and I am the new Public Programs Intern for The Farmers Museum. I am from smack-dab in the middle of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, from a town called Mount Pleasant. I am also an incoming student to the Cooperstown Graduate Program, so I’ll probably get to know a few of you over the next few years, and vice versa.

Anyways, to the important stuff: the new calf’s name. As you all know, on April 27th we began a contest to name our new calf, and we have chosen the winner. Drum roll, please.

And the winner is…

Hugh MacDougall!!

Hugh MacDougall is the Corresponding Secretary of the James Fenimore Cooper Society and he suggested we name the calf “Seraphina,” after James Fenimore Cooper’s cow.

We don’t know a lot about the original Seraphina. But, we do know that she was alive sometime around the 1830s and ‘40s, and she had a friend --a horse named Pumpkin. Pumpkin got his name from one of his chores: taking pumpkins to Seraphina for her food.

Well, to make a long story short, Congratulations Hugh! And for those of you who want to know, Seraphina translates to “Little Fiery One” and is derived from the name of the highest choir of angels, the Seraphim.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin